Monday, January 29, 2007

My Video Game Made Me Do It

I recently read a post by Tijir on his blog Grand Gravey (found at http://tijirs.blogspot.com/2006/09/video-game-violence-in-media.html). He wrote in response to the idea that violent video games create killers. He argues that just like music, television, and movies before them, video games have become the scapegoat for violent actions. He says that even if killers happened to play violent video games, it can never be proven that the games are to blame for their misdeeds. Very true, but unless one can understand exactly what goes on in another's mind, nothing about their thoughts can ever be proven. Tijir concludes that the hype about video game violence is often some one's self-centered agendas being put into action. For the most part I agree with his position. Video games tend to be blamed for a lot. I can remember instances hearing people rail against a game for its content when I know from experience that game has no such material in it. I agree with Tijir, video game scapegoat-ism stems from general misinformation being spread by people who have already made up their minds. I agree with him that the solution lies on the individual level. He says "Quit watching or reading the articles that you know are wrong, do not support the ones who report it." Easier said than done. Since when has mankind stopped doing something simply because he knew it was wrong? If we see a sign on a pole that says WET PAINT: DO NOT TOUCH, we automatically have a desire to touch the pole to see if the paint is indeed wet. While Tijir's article leaves asks for each individual to be responsible for himself, I believe that is not enough. Change in this area will come about when individuals like Tijir take it upon themselves to intelligently inform others of the reality of the situation. This will stop much of the namecalling and so-and-so said that so-and-so said level arguments that video game violence has been reduced to.

1 comment:

Unknown said...

Hrm, I have to say I thought the commentary I wrote was one way to "take it upon themselves to intelligently inform others of the reality of the situation."

But, I am also active in contacting my representatives in congress and letting them know my views. In fact I would invite you to get involved by visiting a couple of websites.

Video Game Voters Network, http://www.videogamevoters.org/ which has a great action center which lets you know what is going on in the government with gaming issues and how to get involved.

Electronic Frontier Foundation, http://www.eff.org/ which deals more with personal freedoms online (DRM, DMCA) and they also have a great action page for getting involved.

I would also like to thank you for taking the time to blog about this. Who knows, maybe the answer to the entire problem can be found one blog at a time ;)